RE: [css3-writing-modes] The writing-mode property: existing implementations and naming

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 00:20:52 -0400
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Sylvain, so can I understand the issue is that the 'writing-mode' property being a real (non-shorthand) property, rather than whether it affects the 'direction' property or not?

If my understanding is correct, I can propose that we rename the 'writing-mode' property to something else (like 'block-progression'), and then make the 'writing-mode' a shorthand for the property and the 'text-orientation' property.

What the 'writing-mode' property is a shorthand for changes from 2003 CR. Do you see any compatible issues with this approach?

Regards,
Koji