Re: [css3] Suggestion: Selector variables or “synonyms”

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:15:30 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Dear CSS Working Group,

a while back [1] (and despite later concerns [2]) I brought up the
idea to introduce selector variables (as in “.foo = .bar”). I
elaborated on them in a follow-up post [3]. Admittedly I’ve lost track
of anything that might have come out of this but like to learn whether
there are any considerations to add such a feature, or to allow any of
the various variable suggestions [4] to cover selectors too?

>From my experience especially with large-scale projects selector
variables may be able to improve the maintainability of web sites and
applications, particularly in the realm of refactorings. If we are
about to introduce variables at all, that is.

Thank you,
 Jens.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Feb/0039.html
[2] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20090401/why-css-needs-no-variables/