Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

From: Garrick Van Buren <garrick@kernest.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:32:31 -0500
Cc: "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com>, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "Jonathan Kew" <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "W3C Style" <www-style@w3.org>, "3668 FONT" <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
On Jun 21, 2011, at 12:41 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> In the current Form-Origin proposal, From-Origin=any is achieved by not having the header. I am not sure I agree that not having this header should mean different things for different types of resources. Consistency and predictability leads to fewer bugs.
>
> - Florian

I agree with the position that all resource types should behave consistently and predictably. In my experience implementing web properties for the past 15 years, this means a more permissive default rather than a more restrictive default.

Having one resource type behave differently or unexpectedly relative to other resource types will decrease overall adoption.

From my perspective, web fonts (still) have significant challenges to their adoption. Challenges quite outside the scope of this WG. I'd rather not see more obstacles constructed.