Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:06:09 -0700
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>, "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>, 3668 FONT <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, www-font@w3.org
Glenn wrote:

> I believe we could agree to the first, but not to the second. In fact,
> we want to make the second to read as:

>        UAs MUST NOT, by default, treat webfont resources as
>        same origin restricted.

> In the absence of an author declaring either a restriction or a
> relaxation, we believe the default should be NO restriction.

For all resources, or for webfonts in particular?

May I echo Tab's question, and ask why? I'd like to get a clearer idea
of whether Samsung's position is essentially a matter of principle or
has some particular practical import for UAs.

JH