Re: [css3-images] Summary of recent gradient issues

On 15/06/2011 11:34 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Behalf Of Tab Atkins Jr.
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Simon Fraser<smfr@me.com>  wrote:
>>> In my quick Twitter straw poll, everyone, without exception, said that
>>> linear-gradient(left, black, white) would have black on the left, so
>>> 'left' denotes the start point. There was zero confusion on this
>>> issue, which provides support for #5 and demotes #4.
>>
>> What if you then asked "Given that 270deg points to the left, do you expect
>> linear-gradient(270deg,black,white) to be the same or opposite linear-
>> gradient(left,black,white)?"?  ^_^
>>
>> ~TJ

The same. The linear-gradient with degrees point to the left (like a
compass on a map where the top of the map faces north). The
linear-gradient referring a side begins from the left since this is what
authors are use to when using background-position plus it's fits quite
well with the sides of the box model (margin, border, padding and
content) and where positioned element with offset <value> are positioned.

I prefer 5 and 2.

> Or perhaps...
>
> "Why do these render the same?
>  (a) linear-gradient(bottom, red, blue);