Re: [css3-images] Summary of recent gradient issues

From: Philippe Wittenbergh <ph.wittenbergh@l-c-n.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:14:41 +0900
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Jun 15, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> So, thoughts?

I don't like option 5 at all (reverse the meaning of the keywords) as it doesn't fit my mental model at all and it is:
1. confusing (as noted by Tab)
2. conflicting with what those same keywords mean elsewhere in the CSS specs: e.g. background-position (in combination with background-repeat) means stick the background in the  X Y corner (where X and Y are the keywords), and repeat from there (basically indicating a direction) [1].

I'm perfectly fine with dropping those keywords entirely (angle should be enough for 99.5% of the use cases). Eventually adding a keyword to indicate a corner to corner gradient  though I agree with Tab that (+ -)45deg covers that plenty well (visually) in my tests.

[1] test: http://dev.l-c-n.com/CSS3_border-background/background-repeat_keyword.html

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh