Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

On Jun 10, 2011, at 2:35 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:27:06 +0900, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As long as we kept it to corners and sides, and not two sets of two lengths? My only problem with it then is how long it is. "bottom left to top right" is pretty wordy for something that can already include a LOT of text (if there are a lot of color stops with positions, for instance, inside a property like 'background' that can have multiple layers.
>
> For diagonals, I was thinking "bottom to right" might cut it.

I don't think so. At one time, that meant "middle of bottom to middle of right".

Re-inserting this quoting for clarity:

>>> I'd need to think about that, but while I am not immediately convinced I like this, it fits the non-ambiguous criteria as well as the non-awkward-wording criteria, so maybe that could work.

On Jun 10, 2011, at 2:35 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>> That is the most positive review of the idea I have heard yet! :)
>>
>> Other pluses: It also reduces the number of keywords needed to just one, allows you to create some gradients that you wouldn't otherwise be able to (but with hardly any added complexity), and makes every author word their linear gradients in a more similar fashion (which makes learning the syntax by looking at examples easier).
>
> Sorry, I am new here. Has this been discussed before? What were the objections?

I think the first time I posed the idea, it was here[1] (or maybe earlier), as part of a longer discussion about having/needing vector coordinates (which eventually went away, thankfully. It didn't get any positive feedback. Fantasai called it silly[2], but at that time I was suggesting the idea was to have "angle changes with box dimensions" (the way it is in all other images) as the default that you could turn OFF with a keyword. In my later proposal, I changed that to say that the keyword turns ON that mode. That serves the more common uses with less typing.

Tab discussed why he didn't like it and didn't think it was necessary, most recently (I think) when I brought it up again here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Nov/0291.html

My proposal, stated most fully and recently in a document, is here:

http://bradclicks.com/cssplay/linear-gradient/index.html#solution

[1] First appearance?: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0074.html
[2] Silly: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0110.html