RE: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 07:47:40 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper:
(a)
> background-position: 20px /* image position is measured from the left
> of positioning area */

(b)
> background-position: right /* image position has a "starting point" on
> the right side of positioning area, and picture extends to the left*/

You've omitted that those are abbreviated forms of the property.

The full form of those values is:
(a) background-position: left 20px center;
(b) background-position: right 0px center;

The full form makes it much clearer how it behaves.

You're welcome to critique the abbreviated forms of background-position as confusing, but as a separate matter from the issue I raised with linear-gradient's first parameter.

Also, background-position isn't about extension or direction.  It's about the anchoring of a location within the source image relative to the background-positioning-area.  As such, there's not the same opportunity for confusion as for linear gradients which have both anchoring and direction.