Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

On Jun 9, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Brian Manthos wrote:

> Brad Kemper:
>> The keywords and the measurement of degrees are two different ways to
>> end up with a direction. They are obviously different from each other.
>> Since they are two different animals, it should not be surprising that
>> they act differently. I don't see the problem.
>
> Again, we disagree.  They are not obviously different from each other.

One is a keyword, one is a numeric measurement of angle. The keyword does not represent a numeric measurement, it represents a side.

> Two fields, in the same location of the same functional syntax, with the same role.
>
> Assertion:  Should not have opposite effects.

They don't. They both result in a direction. They arrive at that direction in different ways. Conceptually it's not that different from the following, which have starting point keywords that don't care about which way the numeric measurement goes. They all measure position, but the lengths describe how far to move from a common position, and the keywords describe a position itself:
------
background-position: 20px /* image position is measured from the left of positioning area */

background-position: right /* image position has a "starting point" on the right side of positioning area, and picture extends to the left*/
------
vertical-align: 2px /* element position is measured from baseline towards the top */

vertical-align: top /* element position has a "starting point" at the top of the line box, and box extends downward */