RE: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:58:38 +0000
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
CC: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> From: Alan Gresley [mailto:alan@css-class.com]
> http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/kanji-test-linear-gradient-media.htm

> Resize the viewport either wider or narrower than 800px. Disregarding the
> issue with how long a gradient is, does this show that left can also be
> confused with top? Also consider how much worst this is in Mongolian
> vertical writing mode. At least start never changes.

On the surface, this looks like a simple bug with writing mode and gradient background images in IE10 PPB1.  I'll take a deeper look when I get some time.

Regarding your point ... The logical upper-left of the box may not change in your example, but it does in other writing modes.

Regarding what looks like a bug...

The real issue (I think) is that the background-image should be immune to the logical coordinate system of the content *in* the box.

We had some issues in some IE9 builds with this for url-based background images, and it looks like there might be some more work here needed for gradients in IE10.

Thanks for the heads up,
- Brian