RE: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

> From: Alan Gresley [mailto:alan@css-class.com]
> >>

> >> Is there evidence that this is a major confusion point that needs
> >> fixing? The issue is that you and at least a few others intuitively
> >> take 'left' to mean "leftwards" instead of "from left", correct?
> >>
> >> If this really is a big issue, we could change 'left' (etc.) to 'from
> >> left' (etc.) or 'towards right' (etc.). This would be OK with me,
> >> even though I'd rather not. At least that way, authors could write
> >> multiple versions of the declarations to handle the syntax changes
> >> between versions (as they do now, when including '-webkit-gradient'
> >> and IE's 'filter' property for simple horizontal or vertical
> >> gradients).
> >

> > Yes, "from<keyword>" would be better than what we have today (in
> > either draft) because then angles and keywords wouldn't be opposite
> > from each other.
>
> I like the keyword being from the start of the linear-gradient.

I don't.  This doesn't get us much further along...

> Also, tying
> angle to keywords is not really the best idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tying" here.  That's the first time the word was used on this thread, AFAIK.

So as not to address the wrong question / assertion, I'll hold off on commenting for now.

> Here is a test (view in Safari or Chrome 12).
> Imagine if a transition or animation had this,

Let me summarize: "When you add transforms all kinds of interesting things happen to the coordinate system, so it can get confusing."
Yup, that's an unrelated topic.

> Having it begin at the start is correct. Please viewport this test in IE10.

You assert it is correct.  You're welcome to that opinion; I happen to disagree but that's actually the secondary point not the primary one.

The primary point: multiple formats used for the same parameter should behave similarly rather than in an opposite fashion.

> 21st Century. I have done some animations where I have said that I have
> become lost in X, Y, Z space. What happens is that I lose my orientation. I
> don't know what is left, top, right, or bottom nor do I know my X, Y and Z.
> Through trail and error, I usually work out the correct orientation. Bidirection
> and writing-mode is simple in comparison.

Yup, and that orientation is most commonly "where you are going" not "where you came from".  Which aligns perfectly with the "direction of gradient" rather than "starting point of gradient".