Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 18:42:40 -0700
Cc: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>

On Jun 8, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>> So you are basically saying "screw you" to any author that has used -*-
>> linear-gradient for simple cases, or who wants to do so prior to CR,
>> because we're going to change so much of it now that reasonable fallback
>> is no longer possible.
>
> Again, it isn't strictly necessary to assign overly negative motives or
> language to make your point.

My statement above is not to ascribe motives; it is simply about the effect this decision will have and the apparent (and appalling) lack of concern for that effect.

> Fallback for experimental vendor-specific
> implementations is up to each vendor e.g. WebKit could well decide to
> keep their -webkit implementation as is and wait for the unprefixed
> property to implement the new model.

Representatives from both Google and Apple have indicated they would not. I find that attitude, and the whole enormous midstream change without (IMO) good enough cause, alarming. That alarm is reflected in my tone.