Re: [css3-speech] voice family prohibition of spaces

On 06/07/2011 03:47 AM, Daniel Weck wrote:
> Good point. Voice names are space-separated in SSML's 'name' attribute, but values are comma-separated in the 'voice-family'
> CSS property. I agree that the CSS Speech module should allow spaces in (quoted) voice names,

I agree. Certainly the CSS Speech module should not make any restrictions on
string values. It can make restrictions on unquoted names, however.

Possibilities:
   - Allow unquoted names per font-family, concatenating adjacent idents with a single space.
   - Allow unquoted names per font-family, concatenating adjacent idents with a single underscore.
   - Allow unquoted names only as a single ident. This would work fine for names with underscores,
     but names with spaces would need quoting.

> but the question is whether or
> not the specification should define the algorithm to convert from/to SSML voice names. It is unclear from the SSML1.1
> Recommendation whether spaces can be escaped with their unicode equivalent (U+0020, or   in hexadecimal, or   in
> decimal notation). Thoughts welcome. Regards, Daniel
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#voice-props-voice-family
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis11/#edef_voice

You cannot escape spaces like that in XML. Except for characters that are
part of XML syntax, where escaping changes whether they are treated as XML
syntax or as literal characters, escaping does not change the meaning of
the XML file and the escaped characters are parsed in as a regular character
stream.

~fantasai