Re: [css3-speech] voice family prohibition of spaces

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 19:47:08 +0100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com>
Good point. Voice names are space-separated in SSML's 'name'
attribute, but values are comma-separated in the 'voice-family' CSS
property. I agree that the CSS Speech module should allow spaces in
(quoted) voice names, but the question is whether or not the
specification should define the algorithm to convert from/to SSML
voice names. It is unclear from the SSML1.1 Recommendation whether
spaces can be escaped  with their unicode equivalent (U+0020, or
&#x20; in hexadecimal, or &#32; in decimal notation). Thoughts
welcome. Regards, Daniel

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#voice-props-voice-family

http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis11/#edef_voice

On 4 Jun 2011, at 22:15, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Andrew Thompson <lordpixel@mac.com>
> wrote:
>

>> If we want to stick to this rule, is it within the remit of the CSS
>> spec to suggest replacing spaces with underscores?
>>
>> E.g given a name Bruce_2 a UA should first try to locate a voice
>> called literally Bruce_2 and then if that fails "Bruce 2".
>
> Actually, no that would be silly. The UA should replace all
> whitespace in the names of all tge installed voice names with _ and
> then match.
>
> I realize specifying the algorithm is overkill but if we don't
> address this somehow there's the possibility some voices can't be
> used, which would be intolerable.

Daniel Weck
daniel.weck@gmail.com