Re: Inline elements should be affected by 2D Transforms

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:56:26 +0900
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Brian Blakely <anewpage.media@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style@w3.org, Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
+Shane

Simon wrote:

>> The problem is that there isn't an implementation that makes sense.

Exactly.

>> Consider an inline element split over 2 lines, with a rotation transform. What do you expect to happen?

Consider the attached test case. (You'll need Ahem[1] installed.) Opera, IE, and Firefox all disagree on how to apply the rotation, both in terms of how to determine which box(es) to apply the transform to, and which transform origin(s) to use.

I really don't think we should go here. If authors want to apply transforms to normally-inline elements, they should use display: inline-block.

Ted
1. http://wiki.csswg.org/test/fonts