Re: [CSS21] 'overflow' on 'table'/'inline-table'

Le Mar 19 juillet 2011 6:37, Řyvind Stenhaug a écrit :
> Presumably as part of the cleanup for issue 120, section 11.1.1 now says
> that 'overflow' "Applies to:	block containers" and that "This property
> specifies whether content of a block container element is clipped" [1].
> However, multiple tests in the testsuite assume that it applies to 'table'
> and 'inline-table' elements, which are not block containers [2][3][4][5].

Řyvind,

>From reading the definition in § 9.2.1 Block-level elements and block
boxes [7]
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-boxes
table boxes are not block containers. So, those testcases seem invalid to me.

The testcases you list are also incorrect IMO, even if 'overflow: hidden'
may or would apply to table boxes. If a testcase (table-layout-002 [2])
goal is to test, check, verify that "Cell content width is not taken into
account in the used width of a table when the table has 'table-layout' set
to 'fixed'", then it should not have to resort to, to use, to declare
'overflow: hidden' or to any 'overflow' declaration since the testcase
goal has nothing really to do with overflow. The table-layout-002 testcase
[2] may be in fact testing more the rendering result of 'overflow: hidden'
applied to a table box than about the original intent of the test itself.

The testcase goal was doable without resorting to 'overflow: hidden' and
to any overflow declaration.

To me, table-layout-002 [2] is not the best testcase serving the original
intent of the test.

> Since I could find a resolution indicating that it should apply [6], I
> suppose this is a mistake in the spec text. Cursory testing with e.g.
> Gecko, WebKit and IE8 suggests that they have it apply some of the time
> ('hidden' has an effect but not 'scroll' or 'auto').
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow
> [2]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/table-layout-002.htm
> [3]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/table-layout-003.htm
> [4]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-013.htm
> [5]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-014.htm
> [6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0468.html

[7] § 9.2.1 Block-level elements and block boxes [7]
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-boxes
"
Except for table boxes, which are described in a later chapter, and
replaced elements, a block-level box is also a block container box. A
block container box either contains only block-level boxes or establishes
an inline formatting context and thus contains only inline-level boxes.
"

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011