Re: [css3-ui] Review comments

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:26:23 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:49:50 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr.
> <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * I recommend dropping the four pseudoclasses ::value, ::choices,
>> ::repeat-item, and ::repeat-index. They are insufficient for styling
>> modern form elements, and I don't think any major browser implements
>> them.
>
> Maybe we should add the pseudo-elements browser vendors (in particular
> WebKit) have added for styling HTML forms. Or maybe it is better to wait
> for the shadow DOM...

Doing that without specifying it as "do what WebKit does" is likely to
get you into a specification rathole of sufficient dimensions that
specifying shadow DOM may be simpler.

Specifically, for each pseudo-element you have to figure out what CSS
properties do or do not apply and describe what they do, while keeping
in mind that the actual structure of the form controls might be
completely different in different UAs and that your specification
probably shouldn't overconstrain it.

-Boris