Re: [css3-speech] voice-pitch

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:02:41 +0100
To: www style <www-style@w3.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On 13 Jul 2011, at 20:28, fantasai wrote:
>> I would expect a speech engine to support a specific range of admissible
>> frequencies, and to gracefully handle "awkward"  values such as 0Hz.
>
> You should specify this explicitly -- that there may be UA-specific limits
> on the frequency and that UAs must clamp out-of-range actual (as opposed to
> used or computed) values to this range.

What about this?

"
Speech-capable user agents are likely to support a specific range of values rather than the full range of possible computed numerical values for frequencies. The actual values in user agents may therefore be clamped to implementation-dependent minimum and maximum boundaries. For example: although the 0Hz frequency can be legitimately computed, it may be clamped to a more meaningful value in the context of the speech synthesizer.
"

and for computed values:

"
Computed absolute frequency values that are negative are clamped to zero Hertz.
"

Author-provided values are handled slightly differently:

"
When a negative value is provided, it is clamped to zero.
"

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#voice-pitch