Re: background-image-frame

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:52:02 -0700
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
On Jul 7, 2011, at 11:51 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> It would be convenient if CSS will have 'background-image-frame: "string" '
> property.

I presume we'd also need border-image-frame: and similar for any other image-using
properties that we have?

> PNG and other image formats support annotated/taged/named
> sub-images

Can you cite references for this?

> so in principle they can be used as image-lists - single-file collections of
> multiple images / frames.
>
> CSS "sprites" as a workaround are quite popular among Web designers
> but current solution [1] looks more like a hack rather than a solution.

I think a media fragments syntax for named frames would be much more suitable. Then you could just do:

background-image: url(foo.png?frame=kitten)

or something.

Simon