Re: [css3-speech] comment on 'voice-volume' property

On 07/06/2011 10:02 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Sorry to arrive late on that, but I notice an issue I raised about CSS 2
> Aural Stylesheets eons ago (implemented them at that time) still stands.
>
> A volume in modern appliances or SW is most often defined by two
> states: the real volume that is often a number, a %age or a list of
> enums, and a boolean state, normal or muted...
>
> I think the current 'voice-volume' property does not capture that. It
> has one immediate side-effect on users willing to rely on CSS 3 Speech:
> to mute the sound of a speech browser, the application has currently
> to switch to '0' or 'silent'. The original value is then
> forgotten in the computed value of 'voice-volume', forcing the app
> to keep track of it, and that could be avoided. In my mind, it
> even should be avoided.
>
> I suggest then to tweak the definition of 'voice-volume' as following:
>
> Value: [ <non-negative number> | <percentage> | silent | x-soft |
> soft | medium | loud | x-loud | inherit ] muted?

Is there a use case for the author to mute here instead of using 'speak: none'?

( Also, it should be

   voice-volume: [ ...] || muted

if you want to add that because you don't want to respecify the volume when
you're muting it, and 'inherit' cannot be combined with any other values.)

~fantasai