[css3-speech] comment on 'voice-volume' property

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:02:12 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Sorry to arrive late on that, but I notice an issue I raised about CSS 2
Aural Stylesheets eons ago (implemented them at that time) still stands.

A volume in modern appliances or SW is most often defined by two
states: the real volume that is often a number, a %age or a list of
enums, and a boolean state, normal or muted...

I think the current 'voice-volume' property does not capture that. It
has one immediate side-effect on users willing to rely on CSS 3 Speech:
to mute the sound of a speech browser, the application has currently
to switch to '0' or 'silent'. The original value is then
forgotten in the computed value of 'voice-volume', forcing the app
to keep track of it, and that could be avoided. In my mind, it
even should be avoided.

I suggest then to tweak the definition of 'voice-volume' as following:

Value: 	[ <non-negative number> | <percentage> | silent | x-soft |
           soft | medium | loud | x-loud | inherit ] muted?

</Daniel>