Re: Shadow knockout

From: Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:53:07 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
>     My guess is he's asking "if I define a semi-transparent or
> transparent background for an element with a drop shadow, why can't I
> see the part of the shadow that's 'behind' the element through the
> background, and is there a way to make it appear there?".
>     'box-shadow' as written explicitly forbids any part of an outset
> shadow from appearing inside the border-box (the part of the shadow
> that would be "behind the element"), though it doesn't explain why.

Yes. This is a pretty common option in design tools such as Photoshop,
in my experience. There's a blog post here that explains the feature:
http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2009/04/clipping-drop-shadows-in-photoshop.html

Could box-shadow accept a 'knock-out' keyword in place of 'inset'? I
can't see any reason why you would to knock-out an inset shadow.