RE: Filter Templates

Instead of embedding or referring to SVG filters, could we instead implement a small subset of filters in CSS syntax?

Part of the spec would describe how they will map to SVG.

This would make it very easy for the user to apply simple effects and it would also limit the number of filters that a browser vendor would need to implement.

In addition, since it's CSS with established rules, it could be used in transitions and animations.

Here's a set of canned filters:

1.       blur(X, Y, Q) with

a.       X = width of the blur box

b.      Y = height of the blur box

c.       Q = number of passes

2.       dropshadow(X, Y, Q, C, A, D, S, I, K) with

a.       X = width of the blur box

b.      Y = height of the blur box

c.       Q = number of passes

d.      C = color

e.      A = angle of the dropshadow

f.        D = distance vector of the dropshadow

g.       S = strength (Color of the dropshadow is multiplied by this)

h.      I = inner shadow

i.         K = knockout (just display the shadow, not the original artwork)

3.       gradientglow/bevel

4.       colormatrix

A user could define an animation with the following syntax:
-keyframes animatedblur
{
from{
-transform: translate(-100px, 50px);