Re: width and height

On 26/01/2011 6:00 AM, Bruno wrote:

> But border is allowed under :hover, at least major browsers show it.

If you put a border on a inline-level box you get bleed out around the
box. Here is an example.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/text/int-border-dashed.htm>

> Why then allow 'padding' and 'margin' for :hover when they also brake
> lines. Although 'margin' isn't that successful in this as 'padding'
> property. Why allow one and other more logical solution is out of the
> question?

The reason is that web documents are flexible and text that can be very
large (the important part of the document) and do govern layout or the
flow of line boxes under certain situations.

> With padding (or margin) I'm practically forcing to do something that
> should be done with normal properties (width&height).

And what happens when some selects a different font-size?

<http://css-class.com/test/images/font-size-option.jpg>

--
Alan http://css-class.com/