'animation' and 'transition' ambiguity?

From: Eric A. Meyer <eric@meyerweb.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:31:48 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Greetings,

    Apologies if this has been addressed, but my searches of the
archives came up dry.  Please point me to the resolution if I missed
it.
    I'm wondering if the current value definitions of 'animation' and
'transition' are problematic.  Each one allows any number of
comma-separated shorthand values, but that's not what concerns me.
Here's what 'animation' allows for each comma-separated bit:

<animation-name> || <animation-duration> ||
<animation-timing-function> || <animation-delay> ||
<animation-iteration-count> || <animation-direction>

And for 'transition':

<'transition-property'> || <'transition-duration'> ||
<'transition-timing-function'> || <'transition-delay'>

The differences in quotation-mark usage in is the originals, but
that's also not what concerns me.
    What concerns me is this:

    animation: rocker ease 3s 5s;
    transition: fade 0.25s 0.5s linear;

How can UAs know which time value is the delay and which is the
duration?  As far as I know, '||' still means "any number of these
can occur in any order" (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-syntax/#property-def-value).

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/