Re: <option> and text-align

On 1/19/11 12:01 PM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
> You are right. So, I modify my proposal: HTML5 default stylesheet to
> specify both text-align:start for <select> and text-align:match-parent
> for <option>.

I'd be ok with that, yeah.

>>  I think a stronger statement is that Gecko is alone in using the CSS
>>  formatting model to handle layout of the combobox dropdown and
>>  of the listbox (with block boxes for options, etc, etc).
>
> Right. Should the CSS spec imply that this is a bug on Gecko, a bug on
> the others, or say nothing at all, so we continue to have a free-for-all?

This is a tough question.

It's hard to make the spec say that this is a bug in Gecko.  I mean...
if the CSS spec says that you _don't_ use the CSS formatting model to
format the dropdown, then it has no more say in how you actually format it.

The spec could say that you _do_ use the CSS formatting model and then
specify that a bunch of properties get set to initial values, etc, etc.
  That sounds like a huge pain to specify, but could be done.  Is that
desirable?  Would that even match UA rendering?  Or are they using
OS-default dropdown widget rendering, which possibly can't even be
expressed in CSS?

For the listbox case, I would obviously prefer that the CSS formatting
model were used to lay out the options; things are simpler here wrt
OS-default rendering, since all UAs support _some_ styles here already...

I'd be interested to hear what other UA vendors have to say, both about
how they currently implement this and about what their implementation
constraints are.

-Boris