Re: Publish working draft for CSS3 Images?

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:26:59 -0800
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Fraser <simon.fraser@apple.com>

On Jan 12, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

> Browsers are starting to implement things from <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/>: WebKit and Mozilla now have gradients

How are gradients expected to work with border-image? I would expect it to work as if the source graphic was the same size as the element plus the offsets, which would all the values of 'border-image-repeat' act the same.

In any event, I have a hard time understanding what Webkit is doing in the following examples, but they don't seem like a useful way to combine border-image with gradients:

http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/linear-gradient/linear-gradient-border.png
http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/linear-gradient/linear-gradient-border-repeat.png

http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/linear-gradient/radial-gradient-border.png
http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/linear-gradient/radial-gradient-border-repeat.png