Re: Expected behavior of background-clip property on the html element?

On 12/01/2011 7:58 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:

>> The UA dependent background-color is the white (this
>> background-color is the default background setting of the UA) that
>> the test show. I can only assume that in Opera 11 and Safari 5 that
>> the root element is not<html>. This beckons the questions like, is
>> there an initial block formatting context.
>
> You're misunderstanding something I suspect. In both Safari/Chrome
> and Opera the background applied to the root element is propagated to
> the canvas and then clipped (completely erroneously in Opera,
> sort-of-correctly in WebKit [*] - although it shouldn't clip at
> all.)

Agree. Safari seem to begin the padding from the where the background is
clipped.

> And I don't see how you conclude from that in Opera and WebKit,
> the root element is not<html>  in those testcases.

Seems that Opera 11 doesn't have the sames issues as Opera 10.5 or
earlier. Right up to Opera 10.6.?? you could create an element outside
of <html>. It was a way you could hack Opera.

<http://css-class.com/test/bugs/opera/background-clip-html-body-xml.htm>

In any version of Opera pre 10.6.?? the above demo can show this.
Reminds me of the infamous peekaboo bug of IE7-.

<http://css-class.com/test/temp/opera-10-5-root.png>

I have seen this element before in Opera. It's canvas is black and
changing the background color from preferences wouldn't change it. It
was happening on pages where there is a mysterious space of 40px on the
right. Under some circumstances scrolling left would reveal a black
strip of 40px wide along the left edge of the viewport. I can't remember
where I was saw it and I not sure if Opera 11 still has the bug.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/