Re: [css3-font] Extension of font-stretch property

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:42:12 -0500
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, MasaFuji <masa@fuji.email.ne.jp>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, www-font@w3.org
2011/1/18 John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>:
[stuff deleted]
> This is precisely my original point, asymmetric scaling of glyphs
> won't yield quality results for screen rendering unless the font
> rasterizer is involved.  I believe that's possible with
> CoreGraphics on OSX or FreeType on Linux but it's certainly not
> possible with GDI on Windows XP.
>
> In this vein, I should point out that it would be far more
> interesting to support some form of arbitrary font axes, such as
> Quickdraw GX variation axes or Adobe Multiple Master fonts. These
> formats allow a font designer to design specific
> parameterizations into the font data, similar to the way hinting
> data allows a font designer to add adjustments for display at
> specific resolutions. The Skia font that still ships with OSX
> supports 'weight' and 'width' axes, allowing a single font to
> support an arbitrary range of weights and widths.  While this
> isn't currently widely supported technology and would require a
> new version of OpenType, it has a lot of size benefits for web
> use.

But is this realistic? Perhaps with Latin, but with CJK? Maybe with
J/K, but I cannot see how this can be realistic with C, especially TC.

Right now we can't even count on having a true italic (e.g., kai
style) font on a random user's system. Nor count on having more than a
single "light" weight for serif and a single "medium" weight for
sans-serif. Why would we assume that things will not only get better,
but so much better (and ubiquitous) that we can assume we have fonts
that are designed with interpolated width and weight in mind?

Just my personal opinion.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

does anyone know how to fix Snow Leopard? it broke input method
switching and is causing many typing mistakes so it is very annoying