Re: [CSS3]: The background-rotate property

On 19/01/2011 5:05 AM, Gabriele Romanato wrote:
> Thanks. Sorry for bringing up an already taken topic. This is an hot
> topic among web developers. As always, you've been kind and full of
> details. Thanks again :-)

Gabriele, you remind of myself. You have been through a life grinder and
somehow survived. We must learn from our life and all become much
stronger in ourselves. Don't apologized for being you.

On 19/01/2011 4:43 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> [- css-discuss]
>
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Gabriele Romanato
> <gabriele.romanato@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> Hope this hasn't been discussed yet:
>>
>> http://onwebdev.blogspot.com/2011/01/css3-background-rotate-property.html
>
> Yup, it was discussed as a side-topic during some gradient discussions.
>
> background-rotate is useful functionality, but it has a few issues.
> For one, like every other new functionality suggested for backgrounds,
> it's probably useful more generally than backgrounds.  For example,
> you may want to rotate a list-style-image.
>
> For two, rotation is just one type of transformation.  The other types
> are probably useful too.  backgrounds can already do scaling (via
> background-size), but not skewing.  Other types of images don't even
> get that.
>
> This feels like something that should be (a) applicable to all images,
> and (b) hooked into the transforms functionality, so you can do more
> things with it.
>
> ~TJ

I believed that this rotation or skew (I think you think the same) is
the painting layer of background-image. This is the same painting layer
as CSS gradients. Apart from my previous list message [1] where I
mentioned about blur happening to background-image, I also believe that
this painting layer is the layer where masking (positive or negative)
can be done. Could we possibly use background-origin as a way to rotate,
skew or mask and leave background-image for blur and other affects? This
would allow two operations to happen.

Example: A blurring of background-image with masking on background-origin.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/