RE: [css3-ui] styling of form elements

tantek@gmail.com [mailto:tantek@gmail.com] Tantek Çelik wrote on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:35 PM:
> To: Belov, Charles
> Cc: www-style list; Tab Atkins Jr.
> Subject: Re: [css3-ui] styling of form elements
>
> > I respectfully suggest revising
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ui/#appearance0
>
> Charles,
>
> I'm having trouble understanding what specific behaviors you
> are looking for from the 'appearance' property.
>
> Could you perhaps post a diagram or two demonstrating
> abstractly (don't bother with pixel precision) both:
> 1. the default styling of the thing(s) you are talking about
> and 2. the alternative styling(s) of the thing(s)
>
> Preferably with actual real world UI content, e.g. the
> nextmuni.com example you give would be great.
>
> In UI, people often use similar terms to refer to different
> things, and thus I want to make sure I'm understanding your
> request correctly.

Tantek, I think I added to the confusion with that nextmuni.com link.  That was only addressing the issue of someone styling single select HTML with multi-select CSS.

Rather, I will provide an example from www.sfmta.com, which I am responsible for and thus can mess with the code.  Of course, given that the feature I am discussing is not yet a part of CSS, I will have to create it via HTML.

Here are test examples demonstrating what I am talking about.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta_TC_orig.php

In the right-hand column, the HTML code in "Search" lets the site visitor specify the search scope via a drop-down menu.  The code in "Plan A Trip" offers two sets of radio buttons and in "Schedules, maps" there is one set of radio buttons.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta_TC_radio_only.php mocks up a possible way that someone who had motor impairment difficulties using drop-downs would style the page to show radio buttons instead (under "Search").

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta_TC_drop_only.php mocks up a possible way that someone who prefers to compact their space would display each group of radio buttons as drop-downs instead (under "Plan A Trip" and under "Schedules, maps").

Of course, in the process of constructing this exercise, I was reminded of interesting semantic differences between option/select and input radio.  For instance, lists of radio buttons can be arranged in layout tables (whether or not that is a good idea) and their text selectively strong-ed.  These things would presumably be lost in converting radio buttons to drop-downs.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster