RE: Serializing gradient function

Afaik this CSSOM clause is relatively recent and remains Editor's Draft
material. I don't think you'll find many properties working that way across
browsers, or strong interest in fixing existing serialization to work this
way given the compatibility risks. I don't recall any WG discussion on using
syntax definitions to specify OM serialization. There was a brief discussion
on the topic on this mailing list a few months ago. I'm still of the opinion
dbaron expressed at the time [1]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jun/0454.html