RE: Expected behavior of background-clip property on the html element?

Fwiw, my own interpretation:

What should be done in the absence of the background-clip property is clear.
Whether background-clip values (other than its initial value) should have an
effect on the result - it applies to 'all elements', after all - and what that effect
could/should be is less obvious.

The background-clip section does note that the root has a different painting area
but neither it nor the special background section explain what the effect of
background-clip is, if any. We learn that the canvas is the background painting
area; but it's not explicitly stated whether that is the only BPA for root i.e.for
all values of background-clip. It seems that way, and one can suspect that's the
case, but implementations currently appear to disagree.

I'm sure I've missed something but it seems safe at this point to say this could be
clarified.

Nitpick: should the reference to the special background section in background-clip
be a note ? It looks normative to me.