Re: @font-face and slow downloading

Hi, David,

I think in that case the so-called last resort font would be used,
just as when the document author specifies non-existent font with
ordinary (i.e., non- @font-face) font-family property.

If the last resort font doesn't have necessary glyphs, the unavailable-glyph
symbol may be shown. (But I think most of the last resort fonts have
fairly wide coverage.)

Yuzo

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2011, at 17:13 , Yuzo Fujishima wrote:

> Hi, David,

> I thought it was implied by the sentence beginning as "It is recommended
> the document author that the fallback font(s) have as similar ...".

> That said, I don't have any strong reasons against adding it back, as far
> as it is a "should" requirement.
> Fallback is not something absolutely necessary, in my opinion.

> OK, understood.  The question then arises ... what does the UA do if the
> style-sheet author doesn't give enough fallback? (None at all, or
> to 'local'
> fonts which don't exist).  I guess the same as today...the UA tries to
> find
> a suitable font, and finally gives up by displaying an unavailable-glyph
> symbol?

> Yuzo

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:32 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>> Yuzo

>> I notice that you omitted the suggestion/requirement on the author: "when
>> a downloaded font is used in a stylesheet, a local fallback font must
>> (should?) also be specified, " -- was this because you feel it's implied
>> by
>> the permitted UA behavior, or...?

>> On Jan 5, 2011, at 17:31 , Yuzo Fujishima wrote:

>> John and other CSS Font people,

>> Can you update me on the status of the standardization for web font
>> tentative drawing behavior?
>> What is the ETA?

>> Yuzo

>> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Yuzo Fujishima <yuzo@google.com> wrote:

>>> I'd propose that we first agree on
>>>    Q1. whether the tentative drawing behavior is at UA's discretion or
>>> not
>>> and then on
>>>    Q2. how the spec wording should be.

>>> As to Q1, I think it must be at UA's discretion (rather than document
>>> authors').

>>> Rationale:
>>> 1. Through the discussion so far, it seems to be very difficult to find
>>> common ground with that everyone is reasonably happy. Hence mandating
>>> a behavior doesn't look reasonable.
>>> 2. Allowing authors to control this tentative and transitional behavior
>>> seems to be an overcommitment for me, especially as a browser developer.

>>> As to Q2, I'd propose the following, deriving from David's:

>>> "when a downloadable font is used in a stylesheet, UA may, after waiting
>>> for download completion as long as it wants,
>>> first use the fallback font for rendering as if all downloading have
>>> failed and then use the downloadable font
>>> when the download completes.
>>> It is recommended to the document author that the fallback font(s) have
>>> 'as similar metrics as possible'
>>> to the downloadable font, so that, if the page is first rendered with a
>>> fallback and later with the downloadable font,
>>>   the degree of visual change, re-layout etc., is as small as possible."

>>> Yuzo