Re: list-style-image was(Re: [CSS WG] Minutes and Resolutions 2011-02-23)

On 26/02/2011 9:34 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> The relevant section of SVG 1.1 Second Edition notes is
> <http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/master/coords.html#IntrinsicSizing>.
>   It explains how percentage values in @width/@height do *not* provide
> an intrinsic width or height for the image; they merely affect the
> size of the<svg>  element within the image after the image's size has
> been negotiated.
>
> Opera's (and I guess IE9's) behavior is correct here, but as far as
> CSS is concerned, the bullet is always a 1em square in every example
> you provided.  SVG just draws within that square in different ways.
>
> ~TJ

Correct. This leads to some ambiguity in your findings in your initial
test case. You said that IE9 was following the spec. Is that with a 1em
by 1em marker box or a 40px by 40px marker box?

I do believe that Opera 11 was rending this correctly which was an
absolute height of 40px in the SVG showing a bullet with a height of
40px and 100% width in the SVG showing the same bullet with 1em width.

Opera 11 behaves the same way (sizing) are used for background-image
(the SVG images are the same ones used in my list-style-image test).

<http://css-class.com/test/svg/boxes-svg-bg.htm>

Firefox 4b shows the SVG at the same size as Opera 11 but the images
does not repeat. Safari 5 seems to apply the percentages in a double
manner. Which browser does IE9 RC follow?

CSS3 B&B fails to indicate what should happen. CSS2.1 has this which is
not what we are seeing.

   | Intrinsic dimensions expressed as percentages must be resolved
   | relative to the dimensions of the rectangle that establishes the
   | coordinate system for the 'background-position' property.

BTW, I tested with <svg viewBox="0 0 400 400"> and nothing seemed to
change. What should happen?

--
Alan http://css-class.com/