Re: cursor: zoom-in and zoom-out; other possible CSS3 cursors

Le Mar 22 février 2011 16:44, Tantek Çelik a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 08:07, "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Le Ven 18 février 2011 10:52, Tantek Çelik a écrit :
>>>
>>> Verified in Firefox and I only have Opera 11.01 on MacOS X so I am
>>> unable to verify the support for -o-zoom-in and -o-zoom-out but your
>>> word on a second implementation is good enough for an editor's draft.

>>> Agreed.
>>>
>>> Added to CSS3 UI editor's draft (since this new feature can exit CR
>>> once we complete the LCWD bounce dance cycle).
>>>
>>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#cursor
>>

>> Tantek,
>>
>> You did not provide a description of the shape of those zoom-in,
>> zoom-out
>> cursors.
>>
>> Proposed text:
>> Often rendered as a magnifying glass with a "+" sign in its center for
>> zoom-in and with a "-" sign in its center for zoom-out.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. I've added a description similar to what
> you suggested.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#cursor
>

>> dynamic-zoom: Adobe (in one of its application: IIRC, it was Acrobat
>> Reader) uses a cursor to allow the user to increase or decrease the
>> dimensions of objects like an image.
>>
>> DHTML demo using it:
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/DynamicMagnification.html
>
> Nice demo. Do any browsers support this cursor as an extension?

If I understand your question correctly, then no: no known browser
actually support dynamic-zoom (or with another name) cursor. But, as you
can see in the demo, I can do
cursor: url("../GRAPHICS/ICO/dynamiczoom2.cur"), auto;
to work around such absence of support.

Speaking of magnifying images: another demo which could use a
special/crafted cursor:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BugzillaSection/Bug111647.html

Instructions: Instructions: Place the mouse cursor over the cat image.
Then roll the mouse wheel forward and backward.

This DHTML demo works in IE8, Firefox 3.6.13, Chrome 9.0.597.98, Konqueror
4.6 and Safari 5.0.x.

>> grab and grabbing cursors:
>> Those should be added into CSS 3 UI
>
> No they should not because there is only one implementation.
>
> The only features I'm adding to CSS3 UI (which is already a CR) are
> those that already have 2+ interoperable implementations (i.e. will
> not block the next CR).

I understand.

> I've added those cursors to considerations for CSS 4 UI.
>
> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css4-ui#implementation-extensions
>
> However if you can convince Opera or Webkit to implement and ship
> cursor: grab and grabbing (even prefixed), then as with zoom-in/out,
> that would be sufficient to add them to CSS3 UI.

Unfortunately, I have tons of things to do and am already volunteering a
lot in CSS matters/waters...

grab and grabbing are originally from MacIntosh os.
http://www.gtalbot.org/GRAPHICS/PNG/maccursors.png

grab and grabbing cursors, it seems, are already into Mac OS X operating
system according to:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGCursors/XHIGCursors.html

and are listed under the names "Open hand" and "Closed hand".

>> Other cursors:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/Cursors.html#Proprietary
>
> Thanks, this is a good write-up. I've referenced it from the CSS4-UI wiki
> page.

:)

regards, Gérard Talbot
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC5 (January 11th 2011)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite