Re: cursor: zoom-in and zoom-out; other possible CSS3 cursors

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 08:07, "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> Le Ven 18 février 2011 10:52, Tantek Çelik a écrit :
>>
>> Verified in Firefox and I only have Opera 11.01 on MacOS X so I am
>> unable to verify the support for -o-zoom-in and -o-zoom-out but your
>> word on a second implementation is good enough for an editor's draft.

>> Agreed.
>>
>> Added to CSS3 UI editor's draft (since this new feature can exit CR
>> once we complete the LCWD bounce dance cycle).
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#cursor
>

> Tantek,
>
> You did not provide a description of the shape of those zoom-in, zoom-out
> cursors.
>
> Proposed text:
> Often rendered as a magnifying glass with a "+" sign in its center for
> zoom-in and with a "-" sign in its center for zoom-out.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've added a description similar to what
you suggested.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#cursor

> dynamic-zoom: Adobe (in one of its application: IIRC, it was Acrobat
> Reader) uses a cursor to allow the user to increase or decrease the
> dimensions of objects like an image.
>
> DHTML demo using it:
> http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/DynamicMagnification.html

Nice demo. Do any browsers support this cursor as an extension?

> grab and grabbing cursors:
> Those should be added into CSS 3 UI

No they should not because there is only one implementation.

The only features I'm adding to CSS3 UI (which is already a CR) are
those that already have 2+ interoperable implementations (i.e. will
not block the next CR).

I've added those cursors to considerations for CSS 4 UI.

http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css4-ui#implementation-extensions

However if you can convince Opera or Webkit to implement and ship
cursor: grab and grabbing (even prefixed), then as with zoom-in/out,
that would be sufficient to add them to CSS3 UI.

> Other cursors:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/Cursors.html#Proprietary

Thanks, this is a good write-up. I've referenced it from the CSS4-UI wiki page.

Tantek

--
http://tantek.com/ - I made an HTML5 tutorial! http://tantek.com/html5