Re: CSS Variables Draft Proposal

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:11:00 -0800
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2011, at 8:31 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>> I am not sure what the scoping rule would be to enable what you give [above], and at the same time avoid unintended clashes/redefinitions.
>>
>> The idea is that there *isn't* such a scoping rule.  We'll just solve
>> the clash problem with a separate mechanism.
>
> I understand that the original proposal was that all variables are global.  But then what is the ... 'separate mechanism' to avoid unintended clashes between stylesheets?

Something like what I called Modules in
<http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b49w0>.  That proposal is essentially
just brainstorming, as we don't have immediate plans to even try an
experimental implementation, but it roughly outlines our thinking on
this matter.

Scoped stylesheets may also be used to contain variables if you really
don't want to leak them out to the global scope.