Re: CSS Variables Draft Proposal

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:15:32 +0800
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
But if module names are global (as I suspect they have to be), it seems like you have swapped a potential problem of unintended clashes of variable names, into a potential problem of unintended clashes of module names.  Which is a smaller problem, to be sure, and to be a real problem, you'd have to have both the module name and a variable in that module unintentionally collide, which also reduces the likelihood. But it doesn't appear to close the door, as it were.

On Feb 17, 2011, at 9:11 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Something like what I called Modules in
> <http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b49w0>.  That proposal is essentially
> just brainstorming, as we don't have immediate plans to even try an
> experimental implementation, but it roughly outlines our thinking on
> this matter.
>
> Scoped stylesheets may also be used to contain variables if you really
> don't want to leak them out to the global scope.

David Singer