Re: [css3-multicol] pseudo-algorithm

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:24:05 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

 > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
 > > 6) introduce min-column-width (probably in combination with 2)
 > >
 > >  + fewer narrow columns
 > >  - would bring us back to last call
 > >  - more complex to implement
 > >  - there would still be lots of clipping
 >
 > Would it help if the minimum column width was just enforced in the
 > algorithm, and not exposed as a property?  We can always make a
 > property to control it later, but for now, just saying that columns
 > aren't allowed to shrink below 5em or something would ensure that some
 > content always gets shown, and may reduce the presence of
 > singularities in the algorithm.

Yes, we could probably avoid going back to last call if we hard-code,
or just recommend, a certain min-column-width at this stage.

It must be possible to override this minimum by setting column-width
explicitly; the hardcoded value should only have effect when
'column-width' is auto.

5em is probably a good guess of where it should be.

-h&kon