Re: [CSS21] Floating - who's right?

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:11:21 +1100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Васил Рангелов <boen.robot@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 5/02/2011 12:01 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 2/4/11 7:22 PM, Васил Рангелов wrote:

>> and what seems more curious to me is that the developer tools of those
>> browsers show the floated element as if it belongs within the
>> positioned one
>
> Can't tell you what's going there, sorry

They are simply occupying the same horizontal space within the <body>.

<!DOCTYPE html>

   .floated { float:left; background: lime; }
   .wrap {  background: salmon; }
   .cleared { clear:left; }

The are no anonymous boxes here (or white-space) and nothing in the spec
says that clear should have any affect apart from clearing floated content.

In this case, clear generates a block and is clearing nothing and all
engines render the same.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/