Re: [css3-flexbox] Trying out flex units again

> Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps all that we need is some kind of mapping from latest flexbox
>> spec to Andrews design. Then we can get all people speaking about the
>> same thing, hopefully. It currently seems to me that Andrew's design has
>> not been considered fully because some details are lacking (Andrew
>> understands those details, nobody else does).
>>

> I believe that I've explained all details of flow/flexes here:
> http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/flex-layout/flex-layout.htm
> The only thing that is missed there is a definition of algorithm
> of flex computations. I can add it if it will go anywhere.
> In any case details of that algorithm is defined by Tab in his document.

I think the lack of the specified algorithm is the problem here. You
should definitely add the algorithm if at all possible (I understand
that describing the detailed algorithm takes quite a bit work and
there's a possibility that after all that work, the working group
decides not to accept the algorithm).

As far as I understand, the generic mood against your specification was
that it does not specify corner cases well enough to get interoperable
system or that it does not scale to all required use cases. It's really
hard to tell for sure until the exact algorithm and its limitations are
known.

> One more thing that I would like to specify there is
> vertical/horizontal-align interaction with flexes.
> At the moment I am working on implementation of
> vertical-align:baseline in flow: horizontal[-flow] layouts.
> As soon as I will have something non-contradictory I'll
> update that document with alignment definition.

Again, the most important part is the exact algorithm. If I understand
correctly, any changes caused by this should be also reflected in the
algorithm anyway. Just make sure that the description of the algorithm
is up to date after any changes to the other parts of the specification.

--
Mikko