Re: [css3-regions][css3-exclusions][css3-gcpm] Plan B

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:34:52 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>:

> Tab wrote:
> > I'm glad you find that readable,
> > but it's completely opaque to me.

Each syntax requires some initial learning. The Columns approach is not inherently more difficult than others. Perhaps we should have a gallery of usecases and a competition of solutions. The most elegant one, requiring the least Modules / Layout Models / Properties wins.

> The basic idea is that columns can be moved/resized/positioned, while
> keeping their place in the flow of content.
>
> If you hate floats, Plan B will be challenging. Personally, I think
> floating elements to the left, right, top and bottom makes sense -- I
> see it in publications every day.

Floats make total sense for paragraph-level elements like figures and tables, but they’re often abused for layout-level containers.