Re: [css3-lists] minor issues (was: first symbol value for non-repeating anonymous counters)

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> Other minor issues in a random order:
>
> 1. Section 8 says:
>
> These styles can then be used in the ‘list-style-type’ property or in the
> ‘counter()’ and ‘counters()’ functions, exactly like the Complex Counter
> Styles in CSS.
>
> Is "Complex Counters Styles in CSS" a reference to some other spec?

I'm not sure what I was attempting to refer to there.  There *was* a
section named "Complex Counter Styles" before I moved it to the
Counter Styles spec, but the reference still doesn't make much sense.
I've removed the reference.

> 2. The same sections ends with:
>
> The <counter-style-name> must be be a valid identifier and must not be
> "decimal", "default", "inherit", "initial", "inside", "none", or "outside";
> otherwise the @counter-style is invalid and must be ignored.
>
> I guess that decimal is included here so that is never overridden and we
> (eventually) always have a valid fallback. However, section 10 defines the
> decimal type with a @counter-type rule. It should be special-cased somehow.

I see what you mean - it's invalid to define 'decimal', even in the UA
stylesheet.  Fixed.

> 3. (Ok this one is not so minor and could be worth its own thread.)
> What is the scope for @counter-type rules and how are name conflicts
> handled? I’d guess they are global to the document being rendered and that
> specified last wins, but some kind of cascade needs to be defined for rule
> of different origin (UA, author, user).

Ah, indeed.  I largely just copied the boilerplate from @font-face,
and didn't realize the omission.  It works in the way you'd expect -
the styles are global, and name conflicts are handled with standard
cascade rules.  I've specified this now.