Re: [css3-gcpm] Printing backgrounds (thread reboot)

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:31:22 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 8/18/11 10:40 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've converted my initial email (with additions from further down the
> thread) into a wiki page, per the group's decision:
> <http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/print-backgrounds>.
>
> Please feel free to modify, but also continue significant conversation here.
>
> ~TJ
>

>From my perspective (and given my print publishing background) I agree with
Bert, so I've added some wiki text to the Do Nothing solution. I think a
print preview UI is preferable to anything we've discussed so far.

My read of the wiki is that solutions 2-6 are too polluted, and the
preferred solution 7 is subject to future pollution, so it isn't any better
aside from being new. When the new thing gets added to boilerplate and stops
being the "I've thought of print" flag will we go through this again?

Despite its limitations, we already have media="print". It may be a polluted
signal or an intentionally malicious one, but it does appear sufficient to
express author intent. In the end it should up to the UI to present to the
user a way of determining whether that stylesheet is reasonable and meets
their printing needs.

Thanks,

Alan