Re: [css3-speech] RE: Heads-up: CSS WG plans last call for css3-speech

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:30:30 +1000
To: paul.bagshaw@orange-ftgroup.com
CC: bert@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, w3c-voice-wg@w3.org
On 18/08/2011 7:44 PM, paul.bagshaw@orange-ftgroup.com wrote:

> The CSS-Speech module states that 'voice-volume' is related
> to<ssml:prosody>'s 'volume' attribute, and that the 'cue' properties
> are related to<ssml:audio>  (inferring its 'soundLevel' attribute).
> It also states that the<decibel>  value of the 'cue' properties
> "represents a change (positive or negative) relative to the computed
> value of the ‘voice-volume’ property".
>
> Authors often have no control over the volume level of the source
> (initial waveform) of pre-recorded audio cues, and never have control
> over the source of speech synthesis waveforms whose loudness differs
> between speech engines and voices. However, the CSS-Speech module
> makes the impractical suggestion that authors control the volume
> level of audio cue waveforms in order the balance them with speech
> rendered from text.
>
> I suggest that the CSS-Speech module follows the SSML 1.1 paradigm
> and that the 'voice-volume' and 'cue' properties should not
> interact.
>
> With regards,
>
> Paul Bagshaw

Please see this message (and thread) which is partly related to
pre-recorded audio cues.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Aug/0041.html

I would suggest that the spec has been developed with the view that it
will be more common in the future that voice sympathizers will have
pre-recorded audio cues that are more standardized.

May I suggest that css3-speech may include non normative text to suggest
to authors that such CSS properties and values for 'voice-volume' and
'cue' may not be widely supported and many users may not have such voice
sympathizers of a certain standard that can fully support these properties.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/