Re: Splitting background-position in two different attributes

On 18/08/2011 12:36 PM, Brian Manthos wrote:

> What makes you afraid of moving it to CSS4?  Is it because CSS3 is
> taking too long to progress?  Isn't it counterintuitive to add *more*
> to CSS3, thus making it even *slower* to progress?  Instead the model
> (IMO) should be more discipline about keeping things scoped so that
> they *can* move more quickly and so that CSS.Next isn't multiple
> decades away.

Get CSS3 shipped since the below spec looks rather empty.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-background/

>> If the issue is to address them within the current spec, then I
>> would expect that it would be trivial to address it for
>> background-position-x/-y on top of addressing it for the other
>> shorthand properties.
>
> I'm saying serialization troubles under control is more important
> (IMO) than adding background-position-x and background-position-y.
> Can they progress on parallel tracks?  Sure.  But making
> serialization harder by adding more complexity just seems like,
> again, the wrong path to take.

Thank you Brian. The examples you gave has made me think. At this moment
of time, neither 'background-position-x' nor 'background-position-y can
be expressed in shorthand values for 'background' I'm not proposing any
syntax (just made up to express what I see as an issue) but something
like the following would have to appear in a 'background' shorthand
declaration.

background: url(wow.png) x(20px) no-repeat;

background: white url(who.png) y(10%);

background: url(we.png) xy(20px, 10%) repeat-y;

Since the shorthand notation of 'background-position-x' or
'background-position-y has not been addressed or analyzed, then it not
wise to add such properties to CSS3.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/