Re: background-print

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:28 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>> At the f2f I briefly discussed background printing at the end of
>> Tuesday.  (minutes:
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Aug/0178.html>,
>> thread:<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jul/0341.html>).
>>
>> I had asked people to chime in, but not many people did.  Florian
>> commented that he was in the camp that thought this should be
>> triggered simply by the print stylesheet setting values.  (This has
>> flaws, both purity-wise and technical*.)  Before the f2f, Christoph
>> Päper argued similarly.  Fantasai said that she thought making the
>> property per-element was overkill, but otherwise seemed supportive.
>
> No, I'm more in Florian's camp, really. (And have a patch to implement
> that in Gecko already.)

Further private discussion with Elika led to some suggestions for improvement:

1. Make the property only apply to the root element.  This avoids the
overkill of having to track this per-element; internally you could
instead track this on the document or whatever.

2. Rename the property and values to properly imply that the property
is still only a suggestion.  The possibility that I currently like the
most out of what we came up with was "printer-friendly-colors:
_prefer_ | avoid".  This also captures that fact that browsers tweak
your text colors when printing to keep the contrast sufficient.  (She
also suggested "waste-ink: try | _auto_", but I *think* she was
joking.)

Thoughts?