Re: magic corner gradient revisited

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:51:26 -0700
To: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:
>> It may be omitted; if so, it defaults to "to bottom".
>
> I am somewhat uncomfortable with having the direction when everything is
> omitted be different from 0 deg, but the current wording makes it equivalent
> to 180 deg.

That's been the behavior for forever.  I based it off the fact that
the plurality of linear gradients on the web were vertical, and it
seemed most natural to have the colors start at the top rather than
the bottom.  I'd rather not change it unless there's a very good
reason.

(Way back in time, the default actually was 0deg, when that was
equivalent to "to right".  I changed it based on feedback and an
examination of a bunch of sites.)