Re: Fixed-in-parent

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:24:34 -0700
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a layout pattern I'm starting to see on more an more web pages
> (and in some UI) that CSS is currently lacking support for, but that I
> think would be nice to add.
>
> One example is:
> http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=sushi&ns=1&rpp=10&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

Yup, this is a really useful pattern.

The Positioned Layout draft on my blog
<http://www.xanthir.com/blog/b48H0> addresses this more generally.  To
do something like "fixed in parent", you'd do this:

.fixed-in-parent {
  position: relative; /* or absolute, whatever */
  position-root-top: bottommost(self top, window top);
  position-root-right: leftmost(self right, window right);
  position-root-bottom: topmost(self bottom, window bottom);
  position-root-left: rightmost(self left, window left);
  top: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0; left: 0;
}

Hmm, feels like I need to add some magic to make this sort of thing
less verbose.